“Play is an important vehicle for developing self-regulation and promoting language, cognition, and social competence” according to the National Association for the Education of Young Children. But there is growing concern about the reduction in child-directed, playful learning due to increasing academic pressures and families’ overscheduled lives. Children’s museums focus on providing places where all families are welcome and learn together through play and hands-on activities. Making CHOM available to families in northwest Illinois provides our communities the opportunity to focus on the learning needs of children in these important early year. But we can’t do it alone.
We are grateful for those who continue to volunteer their time, talent and treasure to the mission of CHOM. Currently there are openings for board members, committee members, museum floor volunteers, and even after-hours help. There are even opportunities for internships. We hope you will play a role in impacting the lives of the children in our communities by committing even just a couple of hours a week to the Children’s Hands-On Museum of Northwest Illinois. And if we haven’t given you enough reasons why it’s a good things, here are a few more…
- Make lasting connections with staff and other volunteers
- Volunteering looks great on a college application or resume
- You’re supporting your community by making this form of education available
- You have the opportunity to use your specialized talents and skills
- You Become an essential part of the Museum team
- You enjoy volunteer recognition efforts
- You receive on-the-job training and feedback from leadership
- It can be a great way to fulfill internship requirements
- It’s good for your health
- You play a key role in keeping learning opportunities available to children from all over northwest Illinois
Want to learn more? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by and say hi! We look forward to meeting you!